Florida Department of Health in Suwannee County
915 Nobles Ferry Road
P. O. Drawer 6030
Live Oak, Florida 32064
For more information about our Healthy Start Program contact our Healthy Start Coordinator at 386-362-2708, Ext. 6096.
Florida's Healthy Start initiative was signed into law on June 4, 1991. All pregnant women in the State of Florida should be offered the Healthy Start Prenatal Risk Screening at their first prenatal visit and the Healthy Start Infant Risk Screening before they leave the hospital or birth center. The screens will determine what services might be needed to ensure a healthy outcome for mom and baby. Referrals can be made by community agencies or mom herself.
Some of the services available to pregnant women, infants and children up to age three include:
- Home visits by a nurse or social worker
- Information about pregnancy and baby care
- Care coordination to assist in accessing needed services
- Education about having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby
- Help to quit smoking
- Classes on childbirth and support
- Breastfeeding education and support
- Health education - family planning, woman's health, nutrition and exercise
- Counseling services